Apple Pie Day - Contestant Entry
- Duration: 6 Hours (approx.)
- Location: Darkes Forest, NSW
- Product code: PZZJKM
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Entries can be made online from this site or in person at the Apple Shack.
- On the day, bring in two BAKED, IDENTICAL APPLE PIES OR CRUMBLES (family size not single serve, and we recommend in disposable pie pans as we
cannot guarantee the return of the pie pans) to the DARKES Apple Shack from 8:30 a.m. and before 9:30 am on Sunday, 25 August, 2019 .
- The pies/crumbles will be judged against others in your category.
- After judging, the winning pies/crumbles will be auctioned with proceeds going to Stanwell Park Country Women's Association.
- On the day there will be lots to do while you wait for the judging and plenty to eat.
The program for the day will be as follows:
8.30am - 9.30am: Pie/crumble registrations (drop your cooked pie or crumble in)
9.30am: Orchard Tractor Ride & Stonefruit Blossoms (limited numbers)
1:00pm: Winners announced & photographs
1.30pm: Winning Pie Auction
2:30pm: Orchard Tractor Ride & Stonefruit Blossoms (limited numbers)
Throughout the day entertainment including music, Jumping Castles, wood fired pizza, cider, coffee and apple pie!
- Apple pies must be double crust. In other words the pie must be predominantly apple and will have a crust top and bottom.
- Apple crumble is single crust. In other words the crumble must be predominantly apple and will have a crumble top only.
- At check-in, pies/crumbles will be randomly assigned a number, and judges will not know the identity of the entrant.
- Appearance: 10%
- Filing & Crust/Crumble Topping: 40%
- Texture and Over All Flavour/Taste: 50%
(25/08/2019). Judging begins at 9:30am with awards immediately following judging.
Judged apple pies and crumbles will be sold to the public after judging, and proceeds will go to the Stanwell Park Country Women’s Association (CWA).
- The Contest is open to anyone wishing to bake an APPLE PIE or APPLE CRUMBLE.
- In the Apple Pie division, only double crust apple pies will be accepted, no crumbles, slices, cakes or strudels.
- In the Apple Crumble division, only apple crumbles will be accepted in this division, no slices, pies, strudels or cakes.
- Official DARKES Apple Pie Bake Off judge’s ruling as to eligibility will be final.
- Pies MUST be checked in between 8.30 and 9:30 am on contest day (25/08/19). Late entries not accepted.
- Other fruits may be added but remember this is an apple pie competition so apple must be predominant and the addition of other fruits should enhance
the apple not take over.
- Pies or crumbles that need special handling, refrigeration or heating elements are not allowed.
- The finished pie or crumble cannot contain raw/uncooked eggs (white or yolks).
- We recommend that pies or crumbles are baked in disposable pie pans only, as we can’t guarantee the return of your pan.
- Pies and crumbles will be scored on appearance, crust, filling and texture and overall flavour/taste.
- The top scorer in each division (Apple Pie Open Female, Apple Pie Open Male, Apple Pie Junior Female, Apple Pie Junior Male, Apple Crumble Open) will
receive a trophy to keep and have their name etched on a perpetual trophy that will hang in the DARKES Apple Shack at Glenbernie Orchard.
- All pies and crumbles will be sold after judging to raise money for the Stanwell Park CWA.
JUDGING DETAIL - PIES & CRUMBLES
- At check-in, pies and crumbles will be assigned a number, and judges will not know the identity of the entrant. Pies and crumbles should
be family sized not single serve and it is recommended that they are baked in disposable pie pans only, as we can’t guarantee the return of your pie pan.
- Pies and crumbles will be judged on the following criteria:
Appearance – 10%
- Basic eye appeal.
- To what extent does the whole pie entice you to want to try it?
- Is the decoration creative and appetising?
- A single slice unveils the looks and consistency of the filling and crust.
- Runniness, juiciness or firmness.
- Pies & crumbles should have generous, well distributed fruit as well as good colour and definition appropriate to variety used.
Crust & Filling – 40%
The judges will evaluate two primary components of apple pie/crumble – individually and then as a combined entity. These two components
are the crust and the filling. They should first each stand on their own merits; and then blend together into a great combination. The judges will
evaluate aspects of the crust/crumble first, then the filling. Here are some aspects they will consider:
- Nice aroma, pleasant, uniform flavours. All ingredients taste fresh and are well balanced. A complimentary use of spices and seasonings that are not overpowering. Generally, crust has a pleasant, mild flavour that complements the filling. However, in some specialty pies, the crust may be used to help create flavour accents.
Crust Consistency (APPLE PIES ONLY):
- Pastry crusts should be flaky and delicate, but not fall apart too easily. They should melt in your mouth with a mild, pleasant taste that complements the filling. They should be a light golden colour, baked throughout and an even thickness across the side and bottom. The crimp should seal thoroughly all the way around the pie.
Crumble Consistency (CRUMBLES ONLY):
- Crumble toppings should melt in your mouth with a mild, pleasant taste that complements the filling. They should be a light golden colour, baked
throughout and an even thickness. They should be distributed evenly all the way around the crumble.
Overall Flavour – 50%
Consider the memorable quality of the pie, are you impressed? This is the judges’ final chance to rate the pie overall.
What makes a good pie? Here is a brief guideline for what traditional wisdom says makes a good pie…
Crust (Apple Pies Only):
- Flaky, melt in your mouth consistency that has a mild, pleasant flavour and is baked evenly throughout to a light golden colour. Gluten free versions
will be taken into consideration and may vary from gluten flour crust versions. The crust should have a tight seal around the edges.
Crumble (Apple Crumbles Only):
- Crumbles can be crunchy, textured or melt in your mouth consistency. They can have
mild, pleasant flavours or contrasting flavours. They should be baked evenly throughout to a light golden colour. Gluten free
versions will be taken into consideration and may vary from gluten flour crumble versions. The crumble should be even to the edges.
- Smooth uniform components with pleasant aroma and flavour which matches the advertised flavour. Appealing colour, and a nice aftertaste. Final fruit
consistency will reflect variety used and cooking method. Even distribution and firm, but not overly crisp texture for varieties that hold their shape.
- A trophy will be awarded to the top scoring pie in each division (Apple Pie Open Female, Apple Pie Open Male, Apple Pie Junior Female, Apple Pie
Junior Male, Apple Crumble Open).
- A perpetual trophy for each division will reside at the DARKES Apple Shack bearing the top three scorers names.
- Bragging rights to claim your pie was the ‘Best in DARKES Apple Pie Bake-Off 2019’
- Results will be published in the local 2508 Mag and 2515 Mag, and social media.
DARKES ‘Bake Off’ FAQ’s
We thought it might be helpful to share our responses to some common questions we’ve been asked about the pie bake-off:
Are nuts allowed?
Yes, all nuts are allowed, but if used it must be clearly stated at check-in on the bake-off day, and marked with the pie.
How about bacon? Or cheese?
As long as apple is the main player, yes, you can add other flavourings But No meat pies here, folks!
That being said, the simpler pies tend to be the winners. Apple should be dominant.
Is this an apple pie eating contest?
No, it’s an apple pie baking contest that anyone can enter. However, if you want to eat apple pie, we need you to! After the judging, all
of the homemade pies are available for sale, either in slices or whole. We just won’t keep track of how much you eat or how fast, which is a good thing.
Where do we go to drop in our pie?
Come in to the DARKES Apple Shack between 8:30am-9:30am on the 25th of August 2019. We will point you in the right direction from there!
Should the pie be brought at room temperature or warm?
This is entirely up to you. But please know that, in the past, in other competitions we know of around the world some winners brought their pies in hot, and others made their pies the day before. So we don’t think that the temperature of the pie upon arrival matters much in determining who the winners are!
What’s the earliest we can drop our pie in?
Pie check-in opens at 8:30am. All pies MUST be received by 9:30am.
Please remember DO NOT BE LATE we won’t accept your pie for judging after check in has been closed! Really.
Will you REALLY turn my pie away if I’m late?
Yes! We hate to do it, but rules are rules! And it is only fair that all contestants have the same time restrictions.
So, allow yourself plenty of time for baking & parking.
Can I bake my pies in non-disposable pans if I’m all OK with not getting the pans back?
Yes, if you don’t mind losing your pan, you are welcome to bake the pie in a different kind of pan. But, based on feedback from other
competitions around the world, some winners have been in disposable pans, some not, so we do not believe it impacts the outcome of the contest.
Do we need to pay an entry fee?
In 2019, there is no entry fee for contestants. However, our goal is to fundraise for the Stanwell Park Country Women’s Association (CWA).
Your pie will be sold to raise funds for the CWA Stanwell Park Branch. This will be a great day and fun way to support a great Australian volunteer
organisation. Thanks so much for helping us out!
Do we pay to attend on the day?
Entrants do not pay to attend and participate in the Apple Pie Day activities. You will be given your free entry token upon receipt of
your pies. If you wish to bring family and/or friends, they will need to purchase a ticket to enter.
Why do we need to bake 2 pies?
Because there may be multiple rounds of judging, we need 2 pies from each contestant so that the appearance of the whole pie can be judged
in each round. Your appearance pie will remain uncut as long as you are still a contender to win! Pies should be family size, not single serve.
Is this event child-friendly?
Yes! The DARKES Apple Pie Bake Off is for all ages! There is an Open Section.and Children 12 yrs and under can enter the Junior Bake-Off Section.
Is this event pet-friendly?
Only assistance animals are permitted.
For the safety of all participants, house pets are not allowed. Sorry folks!
What if I need to cancel and not participate in the contest?
If your plans have changed and for some reason you won’t be able to attend, let us know so that we can allow others to register! If you do
not enter your pie, you will have to pay the admission fee to the day. If you have any additional questions please email: email@example.com